Our own graduate architect, Charlie Abram, was appointed to the 2017-2018 Birmingham Chapter AIA Executive Committee as the EP Director. What is an EP you might ask?
EP /ē-ˈpē / n. 1. a young professional on the path to licensure. 2. an unlicensed architectural professional.
As the EP (Emerging Professionals) Director Charlie will be the ambassador and liaison between the young professionals of the AIA and the broader organization. Part of his duties and responsibilities will be to help facilitate the growth and development of the EPs in their pursuit of licensure and also encourage their participation in both the AIA and the profession of architecture as a whole. Charlie will be helping coordinate educational site visits to local architectural projects, assisting with the sponsorship campaign for the Bham AIA chapter and will be responsible for reporting any updates from NCARB (National Council of Architectural Registration Boards) on the ARE (Architectural Registration Examination) and the AXP (Architectural Experience Program) guidelines to EXCOM and the AIA staff. Additionally, Charlie will be guiding EPs through the AXP, and also will be coming alongside the EPs as a resource while they navigate the ARE. This role is one he's been humbly providing within our own office for all of our resident Graduate Architects.
Fun Charlie Facts:
- Charlie was a champion youth bowler! Don't let his calm and collected demeanor deceive you - he's a competitor on the lanes!
- Charlie is an ACE mentor. ACE is a mentorship program and opportunity for local high school students to be introduced to the Architecture, Engineering and Construction professions.
- Charlie was born in South Korea, which explains his affinity for Korean BBQ and his mamma's cooking.
- In his free time Charlie is an avid eater and enjoys the great local food scene Birmingham has to offer. Charlie also enjoys hiking and the outdoors which evens out his foodie tendencies.
- His biggest claim to fame might be that Charlie is the self-touted “biggest fan of Beyoncé this side of the Mississippi”
We love Charlie and it’s no wonder to us why Charlie was chosen to be the voice and advocate of our young professionals! We’re proud to have him as an integral part of the BPA family.